Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Cool clear water

Today is Water Wednesday. No, you haven't missed any official proclamations or national promotions. I am the one who calls it Water Wednesday. The reason is that I need to drink more water.

About three weeks ago, I had a period where out of taste and convenience I drank nothing but soda with the two meals a day I ate. After a few days of this, my big toe was very sore. I decided that it was the beginning of gout. (Yes, I am not a physician and I realize it could have been something else.)

So, in order to lower my uric acid levels, I decided to give my kidneys a break and drink nothing but water for the day. I don't remember which day of the week it was, but that worked out so well that I decided to do it once a week and started Water Wednesdays.

The problem is that I cannot stand the taste of water. "Water has no taste" you say. Well, people also tell me that mushrooms have no taste and I can certainly taste them, so I say it does. I haven't liked the taste of water from infancy.

When I was a youth, I mentioned to my mother that I didn't like the taste of water and she told me a story of having to squirt water down my throat because I was dehydrated and wouldn't drink it. Alas, it sounds like me.

So here I sit, grousing about doing something good for myself, because it isn't immediately pleasurable. To me, that's the hallmark of being an adult, making yourself do something that on one level you don't want to do because on another level it's exactly what you need to do.

Sort of like working the 12 Steps of ACA.



The Sons of the Pioneers

No comments: