Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Even I wanted to punch me

I am taking a class in Visual Basic. I did my homework over the weekend (between football and baseball) and turned it in today. The teacher was impressed, so much so that he called the other students over to look at what I had done. At that point I had that old feeling I had from the days I was "the smartest kid in the room," which is to say that they were going to beat me up for showing them up. Only I wasn't showing anyone up, I was just playing around with stuff, learning stuff off the page (which in my mind is really what learning is about.) The problem with doing stuff like that, though, is that other people feel (without reason) that they have to match you in order to stay in the picture. It's how in sports they say someone like Michael Jordan makes his whole team better.

At any rate, the next time you see someone turn in a stellar effort, remember that it is not meant in any way, shape or form to be a reflection on you.

No comments: