Friday, September 23, 2011

An exercise

Back when I worked in radio, I read a bit of writing advice.  A famous writer said that there was no such thing as writer's block.  He said that if you somehow found yourself unable to write what you wanted to write, the way to get past it was to write about something.  The idea behind this is that writing about whatever is on your mind will eventually free your mind to write about what you are supposed to be writing about.

To assist me during this time that I am writing on a daily basis, I started the Hot Shots on Monday and I save one or two draft ideas that I can on most nights just sit down and finish if I don't have something with more urgency.

But for whatever reason I just don't feel like finishing my reserve idea, and so I thought I would for this edition indulge in a little free association writing, either to fill the space up or to get me an idea for tonight.  (However looking at how much real estate I have already chewed up just getting to here, even if I do come up with an idea, it will probably wait for tomorrow.)

—§—

As frustrated as I sometimes get with my granddaughter, it is marvelous to walk with her and watch her struggle to make sense with the world.  I am concerned that if at age nine she already thinks she knows everything that she will be absolutely unbearable as a teen.  And it is scary how quickly that is coming up.

I really wish I could put my finger on why I do not want to write my reserve idea.  It is a good subject and worth discussion, but I guess I just want to be in a better mood when I face it.

I think I am in a bad mood because I am removing some of the last traces of the ex from my home and thinking about her is not a good thing at the moment.  One day it will be.  I remember my other exes with fondness so I imagine that she will be no exception.

Well, Carlos Santana the baseball player just hit a game winning home run in the ninth inning for my Cleveland Indians, so that has definitely improved my mood.  And a game winning home run is as good a place to stop as any.


No comments: