Wednesday, February 27, 2013

So...logical.

Quite possibly my favorite single class when I went to college was Introduction to Logic. It wasn't because I was particularly fond of my philosophy professor although he was a nice enough fellow. It was the subject matter itself. Logic was orderly and it made sense. And it allowed for useful insights into what people were saying. It in fact amazes me sometimes how people do not see the logical conclusions to be drawn from the things they say and do.

I believe my love of logic is because of my upbringing and my FOO. People are messy and illogical and the world made little sense to me. What understanding I have of humanity and sociology has only come from studying people in an almost scientific fashion, since people were unreliable to me and made little sense.

The problem though is that whenever you get a shiny new hammer, everything looks like a nail. I had logic and it worked (and works) well for me in a lot of areas, so I used it to try and understand, explain, and solve everything. And using logic about (and in some cases with) people only gets you so far.

It wasn't until today though that I realized that my love of logic was an understandable reaction to the unpredictability and sometimes irrationality of my home life. As Mr. Spock would say, "Fascinating."



1, 2, 3, 5!

No comments: